Tuesday, July 13, 2010


Up until a co-worker complained that her birth control was changing her hair, more specifically causing her hair to shed like crazy to the point she noticed a difference in the thickness I never even gave the concept any thought. Since I think this might be affecting more women I decided to look into it.

Keep on reading to see what I came up with
American Hair Loss Association had this to say:

"The following hormonal contraceptives have a significant potential of causing or exacerbating hair loss.
It is important to note that any medication or therapy that alters a woman's hormones, including but not limited to, contraceptives, can trigger hair loss in anyone who takes them.
Progestin Implants (I didn't know these where still in use)
Implants, such as Norplant, are small rods implanted surgically beneath the skin, usually on the upper arm. The rods release a continuous dose of progestin to prevent ovulation.
Hormone Injections (I've heard horror stories about weight gain and patches of hair falling out from these)
Progestin injections, such as Depo-Provera, are given into the muscles of the upper arm or buttocks. This injection prevents ovulation.
Skin Patch (I've always heard of very high stroke rates with the patch so I never considered using it.)
The skin patch (Ortho Evra) is placed on your shoulder, buttocks, or other location. It continually releases progestin and estrogen.
Vaginal Ring (I used this without any bad side effects, stopped because I didn't like leaving something inside me for weeks on end.)
The vaginal ring (NuvaRing) is a flexible ring about 2 inches in diameter that is inserted into the vagina. It releases progestin and estrogen."

WedMD says, "Millions of women are prescribed the Pill each year in this country, but very few are aware that oral contraceptives are a common trigger of hair loss." I can attest to this, I've had several doctors over the years (about 5) and not one of them has told me that the pill they prescribed me can cause hair loss, in fact I've never been told any of the side effects, I just know about most of them from my own education.

Something to think about right? Luckily, I've never experienced any hair loss related to the use of any type of Birth Control. How about you?

Popular Posts